God is our refuge an strength,
always ready to help in times of trouble.
So we will not fear when earthquakes come
and the mountains crumble into the sea.
Let the oceans roar and foam,
Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!
“Be still, and know that I AM God!
I will be honored by every nation.
I will be honored throughout the world.”
The LORD of Heaven’s Armies is here among us;
the God of Israel is our fortress. Psalm 46:1-3, 10-11 (NLT)
I have noticed that God can seem further away when I am the most frantic and trying desperately to “pray my way through”! Could it be that I need to take a deep breath and empty my crazy on-over-drive mind? Is that the Holy Spirit trying to get me to shush?!
“Be perfectly quiet and KNOW – that I AM!” There it is in a simple, emphatic statement. How do I know the I AM?
First, I must get quiet. Every time I plan to spend some time in God’s Word or just sit down and quietly clear my mind, at least 20 things will begin to pop through my mind.
- There’s the blog post I still need to write.
- Oh, I have to move the clothes out of the washer to the dryer and put in another load to wash!
- Henry wanted to discuss the upcoming conference so I have to have the budget itemized.
- Oh, and tonight’s dinner is tamales so they have to start to steam now!
Are any of these items emergencies? Maybe handle the wash and the food so they don’t interrupt and let Henry know that I can meet in 30 minutes. Deep breathe. Consider the priorities and give God His time and other things will come together! (Matthew 6:33)
And then when I get quiet, it comes to my mind: all that God has given to me.
- The way to get to know Him, like a child knows a loving father.
- Jesus walks through illness, loneliness, birthdays, no matter the circumstance, He is there before me.
- Family and a few close friends who love me and hold me up.
- Shelter, food, and so many gifts of wisdom, knowledge, grace and mercy, kindness, gentleness, and more and more …
If today is heavy with cares, with “stuff” just too heavy to carry or if it is a wonderful day, filled with joy – Be still. Every day. And know … God.
Be Still and Know sung by Russ Taff